001487: Failed to update the published service with the server-side data location. Please see the server’s log for more details

Ho ho ho…getting this error when trying to publish a map? After upgrade? I got this error after upgrade from 10.3.1 and 10.4.1. I made several calls to Esri support, no help at all, they were thinking about file permission. I said what? How come file permission got change after upgrade? It doesn’t make sense and I said the account for ArcGIS server service is member of Administrator group and should have full permission to any files/folders.

Anyway…let me give you some background. After upgrade, I tried to publish a simple map that using Oracle database, so it means I used registered database from data store, it kept fail and threw the error. I checked the server log and I found this:

Failed swizzling the service.


Failed to rename cache folder.


Failed to create the service.: Updating the server connection string for layer Entries failed. Attempted connection string was ENCRYPTED_PASSWORD=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx;SERVER=sde;INSTANCE=”DSID=ffffffffffffffffffffffff”;DBCLIENT=oracle;DB_CONNECTION_PROPERTIES=TEST;PROJECT_INSTANCE=sde;USER=ARCSDE;VERSION=SDE.DEFAULT;AUTHENTICATION_MODE=DBMS. Table name is ARCSDE.COUNTIES. Please verify the data exists on the server.

Wow..first..what is swizzling? like mixing drink? And the last error message that made me puzzling, what? Verify the data exists on the server?

I did run Validate All on Server Manager, all showed green checked and did the same from ArcCatalog, all showed green as well. So it meant both from server and from local, it could connect and verify the database connection. So what is wrong then?

As I mentioned in the beginning, I called Esri support and I did my own search on Google. I found some interesting info.

  1. Bug – what? bug? Really?, here is the link, http://support.esri.com/download/7397 . Then it would be easy for me, just apply the patch and will work. Apparently no…the patch didn’t fix the issue.
  2. Found something in ArcGIS Pro reference, http://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/tool-reference/tool-errors-and-warnings/001001-010000/tool-errors-and-warnings-01476-01500-001487.htm . Well…it didn’t make sense for my case.
  3. Found this thread, https://geonet.esri.com/thread/173653 … Well…very promising…until someone named, “Buddhatown”, gave a link
  4. Here is the link, https://geonet.esri.com/thread/177553#comment-614422 . Some gave steps on how to publish a service “manually” which is create MSD file and then publish from Admin site.
  5. Finally, inside that thread, someone named “twheagle-co-nz-esridist” gave this tip..THIS IS REAL HELP. Exactly the same as my case.


Let me give you my tips on how to fix:

  1. Check if your …\config-store\data has dsconnections.lst file or not, if not, continue below otherwise, please stop, it doesn’t apply to your caseJ.
  2. Find other site that working fine, has the same connection/registered database, copy the whole \data folder to the broken site AND copy dsconnections.lst file to all servers that member of the site in this location …\ArcGIS\Server\DatabaseSupport. REMEMBER: when you do that, you must stop ArcGIS server service on both source and target.
  3. If you can’t find other site that working fine, if you have multiple servers in a site, remove all servers and left only one server in the site (the idea is to make only one server/site), on Server Manager go to Site – Data Store, remove all Registered Databases entries and Registered Folders entries. Re-entry Register Database first until finish and continue to Register Folder. Make sure when you register first database, check if it created dsconnections.lst file on config-store\data folder. Otherwise, you might need to restart the server.

Those tips that I mentioned, fixed my issue. Thank you very much to those people in the Esri forum threads that give information and idea.

Meanwhile, I have some questions to Esri folks if might get chance to read my post,

  1. Why created dsconnections.lst file on both config-store and each server? I saw there were some inconsistency such as if I have multiple servers in a site, not all servers have identical file compare to each other and compare to config-store.
  2. Why created dsconnections.lst file on local if you are going to use the file on config-store folder?

Suggestion: if anytime we run validation using ArcCatalog and the result is green, why not copy the file from the local to config-store folder and to all servers member of the site (synchronization) and the other way from server manager. By that, all servers in the site and config-store folder will have identical file. Or to make it simple, why maintain critical configuration of a site in local server while you have a central location \config-store and \directories.




2 thoughts on “001487: Failed to update the published service with the server-side data location. Please see the server’s log for more details

  1. I had a dsconnections.lst file in my config-store folder on the ArcServer server, but you reminded me to try renaming that folder to dsconnections_old.lst. Then, I re-validated all of my data store connections using Server Manager. This resolved my problem, which had very similar symptoms to yours, except I’m using ArcMap 10.4.1 and SQL instead of Oracle. Thank you for posting, though, this was my solution after many hours of headache and frustration!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s